Flour, water and wait

by Ana Sabino
Scroll down para versão em português

I, as well as many others, spent part of my lockdown feeding a starter. In fact, first, I fed the idea of making a starter with flour and water only. Then I studied, pondered, read about procedures, asked for recipes. Only then did I feed the said starter, with flour and water. At first, 20gr, then 50gr; at first, every 24h, then 12h. I took it everywhere around the house, in search of a warm place, a cosy spot. I was told that on the seventh day it would be ready; it wasn’t, I didn’t give up. I gave it time. I kept feeding it, mornings and nights, giving it comfort and warmth, watching its growth—always meagre, unstable. At the eighteenth day, when gloomy thoughts about the end (of the starter) began invading my spirit, the miracle took place—it doubled in size, it was ready. I thought: victory! A victory for persistence, devotion, patience. It’s ready! But I didn’t know what was coming next. To bake bread with sourdough—with this starter composed of wild yeast that is spread through the air and simply holds on to the flour when we give them a chance—demands a lot of discipline. Having a starter ready—and by “ready” I mean that has already proven to double in size within 12 hours or less; and is, when we are about to use in the recipe, in the right moment to be fed—is just the first step; the first of many.

This wasn’t the first time I ventured into dealing with living organisms in the kitchen. For a few months now, I’ve been making my own yoghurt, so I understand the importance of the right temperature, of patience, of trial and error, of fine-tuning, of trying to understand the beast and even of following our own instinct when choosing the best way to take care of it, listening to it and listening to ourselves, as we would with a child. 

Having the starter ready, we grab it along with the flour, water, and our enthusiasm, and mix everything in a bowl. And then we wait. We wait for half an hour—the first of many, short and long, periods of waiting. In the meanwhile, we are allowing autolysis to happen, an enzymatic process in which flour and water exchange ideas, and get out of this process visibly more homogeneous.

With the homemade yoghurt, which I was already used to making, we baked lots of yoghurt cakes, mainly at the beginning, while the starter wasn’t growing and baking bread at home still seemed a faraway dream, an “I wonder if…”. We soon realised that the shortage of bread was going to be a problem, and the first reaction was to replace it for its sweeter version. This was the time to ask our mothers for recipes and add our pinch of individuality, like a culinary adolescence.

After the established half hour, we mix the dough again. Now we can add the salt, dissolved into a small portion of water that we kept aside from the previous step. Salt is that guest that always arrives late, and that’s fine, because everybody can catch up before it arrives. When the salt arrives, the party gets wilder: it’s time to knead the bread. You knead a lot, vigorously, according to the technique most convenient to each improvised baker. It’s a good idea to mix as much as possible at this step, because later what will be asked of us the most is patience. And wait. After kneading, we wait for about four hours.

Another dough that is hard to knead, which makes it particularly fun for me, is Italian pasta (for lasagna, ravioli, fettuccine, etc.). This isn’t my début in the world of dough: several years ago I gifted myself an Italian pasta machine. Already back then, I thought about something that resurfaced in my thoughts very frequently: so many things are made out of flour and water. An Italian “mamma” mixes together flour and water and makes pasta, mixes together flour and water and makes pizza, mixes together flour and water and makes bread, mixes together flour and water and makes grissini. Sometimes we say that every Portuguese recipe starts by cooking onion and garlic in olive oil; I think in Italy one might start by mixing flour and water.

But don’t think you can leave the bread behind after kneading it. No. Every thirty minutes you go there, lift the tea towel with which you covered it, stretch the dough and bend it over itself. Something fast, but it implies leaving an open task in your head, one that you can’t get over with right now, nor leave for later. Every half an hour. Steadily. After a few stretches and folds and after four hours have gone by (actually, the waiting times depend on various conditions, like room temperature and the current strength of the yeast, and can vary wildly), we wait again. The longer of waits: about eight hours. Long enough that you can, at least, forget about it for a while.

Time is perhaps the most important issue during this confinement. We have to make time so that things out there propagate slowly—so, inside our homes, we wait. Meanwhile, we amuse ourselves. One of the courses I chose to make during this time was ravioli—precisely because it provides not only food but also entertainment. We spent family time in the kitchen for a good part of that morning, between preparing the stuffing, stretching the dough, distributing individual portions of filling, closing; boiling and waiting for the best. And it all started with flour, water and wait.

When we finally almost forgot about the sourdough, we come back to it. Finally, we grab it and start giving it some shape. Which isn’t but a pre-shape. Before giving it the shape it will finally have, we have to let it wait again. Just for fifteen minutes, this time. Just the time to look at it with pride and plan the next steps.

It is exactly because everything starts with flour and water that flour is quickly sold out at supermarkets right now (not to mention yeast, the shortage of which led to the surge of improvised sourdough starters than we have witnessed). That’s also food for thought. In these hard times, we go back to the basics. We don’t buy more bread, which dries up quickly or takes too much space in the freezer. We buy flour, which has a virtually unlimited shelf life and offers enormous versatility in its potential uses. We go back to the roots. We ask our mothers for recipes. We make “massa madre”. We take a step back. We park the car and leave it there. We forget the makeup and let our hair grow. We try to catch wild yeasts. We are closer to who we are, in a wild state. Definitely food for thought.

When it’s finally time to give the bread its final shape, the goal is to stretch the dough, create some friction between the dough and the board, giving it tension, but not allowing the air that the dough has trapped inside it during this process to get lost. We try to give it the looks of a dome, even if not geometrically accurate. By now it already has the shape of a bread, but it still demands another wait. Once again, a long one: eight, perhaps more, hours at the fridge, for a second fermentation.  

While going back to our roots, to “how it was made in the old days”, and in an effort to best manage cupboard space and survival time with the produce we had at home, I remembered codfish, preserved for a long time when sun-dried with salt. Portuguese people’s faithful friend, who fed so many mouths until now. I ordered my first whole codfish, and I eagerly awaited its arrival. In fact, when it arrived, I felt the impact of dealing with something primary. Maybe the closest thing to killing a beast to eat it that many people have experienced, if they have, is the experience of slaughtering a whole codfish in pieces. The vision of the codfish over the chopping board filled me with an unmeasurable and slightly clumsy pride, in the sense that it made me feel a bit silly exactly because how it made me feel.  It was absurdly rugged, fixed in the precise shape in which an agile cut opened it in half, without a head with which to face me, but still very imposing in its relation with me, moreover because of its disproportionate scale when compared to a packet of whatever usually enters my kitchen. It yielded quite a few sizeable pieces, a few thinner ones, and two wings. I read that it needed to soak for 36h; already knowing what was expected of me, I left it immersed in water and waited. In the morning and at night I fed the yeast, changed the codfish’s water. And what a joy to see it grow each day. Both of them, I mean.

Only after the eight or more hours of that ultimate wait you can finally take the bread into the oven. Slow down: first, you heat the oven to a very high temperature, and swiftly cut it in a way that would, in a community oven, allow identifying each baker’s bread—and that, at home, serves as a test to our assertiveness with a razor in our hands. It stays in the oven for a variable amount of time, according to its size. Maybe it will take more than one hour until you can cut it, spread butter on it and eat it. But that’s not important—by now, the bread already taught us how to wait.

(This text is a gift to Joana Melo Rocha, to whom I must give thanks for teaching me how to make bread, with just flour, water and wait.)

Farinha, água e espera

por Ana Sabino
Também eu, como tantas outras pessoas, passei parte do meu tempo de confinamento a alimentar um fermento. Aliás, primeiro alimentei a ideia de fazer um fermento, apenas com farinha e água. Estudei, ponderei, li procedimentos, pedi receitas. Depois, alimentei o dito fermento, com farinha e água – no início 20g, depois 50g; primeiro, a cada 24 horas, depois, a cada 12 horas. Levei-o a todo o lado na casa, à procura de um lugar quentinho, aconchegado, aconchegante. Disseram que ao sétimo dia estaria pronto; não estava, não desisti. Dei-lhe tempo. Continuei a alimentar de manhã e à noite, a dar-lhe carinho e quentinho, a observar-lhe o crescimento, sempre acanhado, inconstante. Ao décimo oitavo dia, quando pensamentos melancólicos sobre o fim (do fermento) já me invadiam o espírito, deu-se o milagre: duplicou de tamanho, estava pronto. Então pensei: vitória! Venceu a persistência, a dedicação, a paciência. Está pronto. Mas isso era apenas porque ainda não sabia o que vinha a seguir. Fazer um pão com massa mãe – com este fermento de bactérias selvagens que circulam no ar e simplesmente se agarram à farinha quando lhes damos condições para isso – exige uma grande disciplina. Ter um fermento pronto – e por “pronto” quero dizer que tenha já dado provas de duplicar de tamanho em 12 horas ou menos, e esteja, no momento em que o vamos usar na receita, no momento certo para ser alimentado – é apenas o primeiro passo; o primeiro de muitos.

Esta não foi a primeira vez que me aventurei a lidar com organismos vivos na cozinha. De há uns meses para cá faço o meu próprio iogurte, pelo que já percebi a importância da temperatura certa, da paciência, da tentativa-erro, da afinação, de tentar compreender o bicho e até de seguir o nosso instinto para escolher a melhor maneira de cuidar dele, ouvindo-o e ouvindo-nos, como faríamos com um filho.

Tendo o fermento pronto, agarramos nele, no entusiasmo, na farinha e na água e juntamos tudo numa taça. E esperamos. Espera-se por meia hora – a primeira de muitas, curtas e longas, esperas. Neste tempo estamos a permitir que ocorra a autólise, um processo enzimático em que a farinha e a água trocam de ideias, saindo visivelmente mais homogéneas desse processo.

Com o iogurte caseiro, que já costumava fazer, fizemos vários bolos de iogurte, sobretudo no início, enquanto o fermento não crescia e fazer pão em casa parecia ainda uma miragem, um desejo longínquo, um “será?”. Percebemos logo que a escassez de pão ia ser um problema, e a primeira reacção foi substituí-la pela sua versão doce. Foi o momento de pedir as receitas às mães e juntar a nossa pitada de individualidade, como uma fase de adolescência culinária.

Passada a meia hora estabelecida, volta a mexer-se na massa. Agora sim, podemos juntar o sal, dissolvido numa pequena porção da água que se deixou de parte no passo anterior. O sal é aquele convidado que chega sempre atrasado, e ainda bem, porque assim se podem pôr certos assuntos em dia antes da sua chegada. Quando o sal chega, a festa começa mais a sério: chegou o momento de amassar o pão. Amassa-se muito, vigorosamente, seguindo a técnica mais conveniente a cada padeiro de circunstância. É bom aproveitar para mexer tudo agora, porque mais tarde a coisa que mais nos será pedida é paciência. E espera. Depois de amassar, espera-se por cerca de quatro horas.

Outra massa que é difícil de amassar, e que me dá especial gozo por causa disso, é a massa italiana (para lasanha, ravioli, fettucine, etc.). Não é, portanto, a minha estreia no mundo das massas: há uns anos largos ofereci-me uma máquina de fazer massa italiana. Já na altura me ocorreu algo que voltou a insinuar-se no meu pensamento de maneira muito vincada agora: tudo se faz com farinha e água. Uma “mamma” italiana junta farinha e água e faz lasagna, junta farinha e água e faz pizza, junta farinha e água e faz pão, junta farinha e água e faz grissinos. Às vezes diz-se que todas as receitas portuguesas começam por fazer estrugir cebola e alho; julgo que em Itália se começará por juntar farinha e água.

Mas não se julgue que se abandona o pão após amassar. Não. A cada meia hora vamos lá, levantamos o pano de cozinha com que o cobrimos, esticamos a massa e dobramo-la sobre si mesma. É coisa rápida, mas implica ter uma tarefa pendente na cabeça, que não se pode despachar agora, nem se pode adiar para mais tarde. De meia em meia hora. Paulatinamente. Após algumas dobras e passadas as cerca de quatro horas (na verdade, os tempos de espera dependem de várias condições, como a temperatura ambiente a força atual do fermento, e podem variar largamente), volta-se a esperar. A mais longa das esperas: cerca de oito horas. O suficiente para podermos, pelo menos, esquecer-nos dela por algum tempo.

O tempo é talvez a questão mais importante neste confinamento. Temos que dar tempo para que as coisas lá fora se propaguem devagar; portanto, dentro de casa, aguardamos. Entretanto, entretemo-nos. Um dos pratos que escolhi para fazer nesta altura foi ravioli – precisamente, porque fornecia não apenas alimento mas também passatempo. Estivemos em família na cozinha uma boa parte da manhã, entre preparar o recheio, esticar a massa, distribuir porções individuais de recheio, fechar; cozer e esperar pelo melhor. E tudo começou com farinha, água, e espera.

Quando já quase nos tínhamos esquecido da massa do pão, voltamos a ela. Finalmente, pegamos nela e começamos a tentar dar-lhe uma forma. Que não é senão uma pré-forma. Antes de lhe dar a forma que há-de ter, temos que a deixar esperar novamente. Apenas um quarto de hora ou pouco mais, desta vez. O tempo de olharmos para ela com orgulho e planearmos os passos seguintes.

É, precisamente, porque tudo começa com farinha e água que a farinha rapidamente esgota nos supermercados nesta altura (para não falar do fermento, cuja escassez levou à onda de fabricantes de massa-mãe improvisados que vimos surgir). Isso dá que pensar. Neste tempo difícil, voltamos aos elementos básicos. Não compramos mais pão, que seca rapidamente ou ocupa demasiado espaço no congelador. Compramos farinha, que se aguenta bem na despensa por tempo indeterminado e oferece imensa versatilidade no seu uso. Vamos às raízes. Pedimos receitas às mães. Fazemos massa mãe. Damos um passo atrás. Deixamos o carro parado. Esquecemos a maquilhagem e deixamos o cabelo crescer. Tentamos apanhar com “isco de trigo” fermento selvagem. Ficamos mais próximos do que somos, no nosso estado selvagem. Dá que pensar.

Quando chega finalmente a fase de dar a forma final ao pão, o objetivo é esticar a massa, ir criando atrito entre a massa e a tábua, dando-lhe assim tensão, mas sem permitir que o ar que a massa ganhou se perca neste processo. Tenta-se dar-lhe o ar de uma semi-esfera, mesmo que não digna de rigor geométrico. Já tem forma de pão, mas ainda exige mais uma espera. De novo, uma das longas: oito, ou possivelmente mais, horas no frigorífico para uma segunda fermentação.

Nesse movimento de volta às raízes, ao “como é que se fazia antigamente?”, e num esforço de gestão de espaço de dispensa e de tempo de sobrevivência com os víveres que temos em casa, lembrei-me do bacalhau, conservado por longo tempo quando seco ao sol com sal. O fiel amigo dos portugueses, que alimentou tantas bocas até aqui. Encomendei o meu primeiro bacalhau inteiro, e esperei com ansiedade a sua chegada. De facto, quando chegou, senti um embate com qualquer coisa de primário. Talvez o mais próximo com matar um bicho para o comer que muita gente já teve, se é que a teve, é a experiência de esquartejar em postas um bacalhau inteiro. A visão do bacalhau sobre a tábua do pão encheu-me de um orgulho desmesurado e um bocado tosco, no sentido em que me fazia sentir um pouco tola exatamente por causa daquilo que me fazia sentir. Ele mesmo era absurdamente tosco, fixado na forma precisa que um corte ágil que o abriu em dois definiu, sem cabeça com que me encarar, mas ainda imponente na sua relação comigo, quanto mais não seja pela sua escala desmesurada quando comparada com um pacote do que quer que seja que costume dar entrada na minha cozinha. Rendeu quatro postas bem gordas, umas quantas mais finas e duas abas. Li que precisava de 36h de demolha: e como já sabia o que se esperava de mim, deixei-o em água e esperei. De manhã e à noite alimentava o fermento, trocava a água ao bacalhau. E que gosto que me deu vê-lo crescer a cada dia. Aliás, a ambos.

Só passadas as oito ou mais horas dessa derradeira espera se pode finalmente levar o pão ao forno. Calma: primeiro, aquecer o forno a uma temperatura bastante elevada, e fazer no pão os cortes que, num forno comunitário, serviriam para identificar o pão de cada padeiro e que, em casa, servem para testar a nossa assertividade com uma lâmina na mão. Fica no forno por tempo variável consoante o seu tamanho. Talvez chegue a demorar mais uma hora até que o possamos cortar, barrar com manteiga e comer. Mas isso nem importa; nesta fase, o pão já nos ensinou a esperar.

(Este texto é uma oferta a Joana Melo Rocha, a quem devo o presente de me ensinar a fazer pão, partindo apenas de farinha, água e espera.)
follow us on ︎
© alento 2021
follow us on ︎
© alento 2021